Saturday, March 8, 2014

Grape juice

As you know I've been really busy in the kitchen lately, preserving  lots of lovely peaches and tomatoes. I've done several bottles of peaches now, which I know we will enjoy in the coming winter. The tomato sauces, both Italian and spicy Indian versions, are lined up in the pantry at the ready for future pasta dinners and curries, both of which are a big favourite here at CTF.

However, this past week I've been picking bunches and bunches of juicy ripe red table grapes. Now there are only so many grapes we can actually eat 'au natural' - I say 'we' but the truth is I don't actually like them much! So there was only really one other alternative - grape juice!


It's easy to make, just a little time consuming. Here is a quick guide to making:

1. Pick your grapes
2. Wash your grapes and remove stalks, insects, leaves..
3. Put into clean stock pan
4. Mash with potato masher
5. Bring to boil and simmer for about 10 mins.
6. Cool for about 10 mins
7. Pour into 'jelly bag' aka old clean pillow case.
8. Suspend 'jelly bag' over another big pot to catch juice, leave to drip for a while. N.B. Juice will stain so use newspaper on floor
9. Squeeze out any extra juice you can
10. Bottle up and sterilise in water bath as per preserving fruit.
11. Drink - we dilute with water but I'm thinking soda water would be lovely.

Note - no sugar was added and the juice is sweet enough for us. It's delicious!

6 comments:

BLD in MT said...

We cracked a jar of our grape juice this weekend. Its so yummy. I look forward to the harvest every year (and we don't even have our own vines and just rely on the generosity of neighbors and the like who are usually keen to give them to someone who will "actually do something with them.") Matt doesn't care to eat them whole. Me, I eat the until my mouth and hands are purple. But, the juice is nice on a winter day!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

That's great that you have neighbours happy to hand them over!

I'm pleased that I've found a great way to use them, and that I can enjoy too.

Ockduspock said...

That looks delicious!

gail said...

Gosh, thank you so much for this. We have soooo many grapes this year and have been wondering how to make juice.
Blessings Gail

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Yes, it is delicious Ock Du Spock :-)

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Gail, you're welcome. Happy juicing! Bridget